1.02.2010

the purpose of a blog

I have been thinking a lot lately about what the purpose of this blog is for me. I strugle with posting regularly and I feel a major reason is that I have no defined purpose. I often ask myself, "is this blog for me, for family and friends, or for anonymous individuals who happen to stumble upon it?". Much of my previous blogging has included a recap of the daily events of my (our) life. But if that is the true purpose of my blog, I hardly doubt most of those on the outside will take much interest. Honestly, I might as well keep a private diary.

When I think about the blogs I most often read and enjoy, I notice a couple of trends. First, the blogs are usually a combination of recapping daily events and thoughtful words or advice of some sort. Second, I greatly appreciate the sense of transparency used by the authors. I think good bloggers have to let go of the idea that they can be someone they are not. Third, they do not turn blogging into something complicated. Reading a good blog is like having a conversation with that person and in some cases provides a glimpse into the deepest parts of one's sole.

I then return to the question of what the purpose of this blog is. I often think I have thoughts I would like to share with others, but don't necessarily have an avenue for sharing. Sometimes I have ideas I am pondering, and would love the opportunity to allow others to weigh in. In my never end quest to lose the extra weight I have carried around for yearsfar too long, I will make public my achievements in 2010 in this quest, but would also like to be real about the challenges. And there are many challenges for me.

I guess that is the beauty of a blog- that it can be about and for whatever and whomever the author chooses. Ultimately this blg is mine, but I would hope others could get something out of it as well. I am looking forward to what this blog has in store in 2010!

No comments: