Matt's parents visited this weekend. It was their first trip to Lincoln although they have been to Omaha twice before - once last Labor Day weekend and then again for the wedding. They arrived on Friday in the early evening after apparently taking the l-o-n-g route from Shelbina to Lincoln through Kansas. They brought the dog with them, which made the weekend interesting because we had to return to the hotel periodically to check on her. Luckily their hotel was literally down the street from our apartment. Yesterday we visited Morrill Hall - the University of Nebraska State Museum and the Tractor Test Museum on East Campus. We were going to go to the Nebraska State Capitol Building as well, but decided after the first two activities to take it easy for awhile (and check on the dog...). The Tractor Test Museum was actually really interesting. Do you ever notice how the most interesting things can be located right under our noses and we just pass on by without noticing? The Tractor Museum has about 25 tractors on display all that were tested at the University of Nebraska. Nebraska passed a law in about 1920 that would protect farmers in the state of Nebraska from buying tractors that did not meet their advertised expectations. So, they set up a testing center at the University of Nebraska to test tractors. Matt's dad loved it. Matt got some great pictures that I will try to post in the next couple of days - the cord for my camera is missing right now. My parents and Sarah drove down and had dinner with us last night at Granite City. I had buffalo chicken salad - it was good but I was disappointed in myself for not trying something new because I had the same meal the last time I was there. Matt had chicken parmesan that was to die for (I snuck a bite) and everyone else's food looked really good as well. I vow to try something new next time and not be boring by ordering the same thing every time. Even though we were pretty full after dinner, I took the opportunity to visit one of my favorite Lincoln stops - Ivanna Cone. Homeade ice cream to die for! I had my usual - a chocolate ice cream soda made with Ivanna Cone's delicious Dutch Chocolate ice cream. So, so good. Matt had Carrot Cake Ice Cream - ice cream with real carrot cake -frosting and all- mixed in. It was tempting, but I'll stick to my favorite!
Matt's parents left this morning after we had breakfast with them and Matt and I plan to spend the day inside. It is so cold out and we were on the go for most of the day yesterday that we decided to just enjoy a day at home. I have some work to do for class (I'm procrastinating at the moment) and I really need to clean out my closet and get my winter clothes ready to put away and start getting my summer clothes out. Unfortunately, the cold weather is not motivating me to get that project going today - I have zero interest in putting tanktops in my drawers when the temperature is not even above freezing. For right now, I'm just enjoying my diet coke, watching the Cardinals game over Matt's shoulder on his laptop - (as we can't get the games on tv here) and recording my thoughts on these recent events.
No comments:
Post a Comment